Skip to main content

The Headless Monster

Relative Grading - The phenomenon witnessed when people try to hide information, misguide, purposely misinform and stoop down to any extent to ensure that they win by pulling others down and making them lose.

In other words, hypocrisy, backstabbing and anything cruel that one can think of to make sure that nobody around can even minutely benefit from any of one's actions. To think of it, it sounds inhuman and quite extreme. However, one fails to recognize that this is prevelent everywhere in one's daily life.

My first foray into mainstream "RG"ing happened when I entered the hallowed power corridors of IIMA. Somehow, even after staying amidst all this for more than 5 months now, I still feel sick to my stomach when I witness newer lows of RG being breached every other day. In academics, this has become a regular exercise, which ceases to hold any "O-moments" for me anymore. But, the extent of havoc this headless monster has wreaked could be gauged at the summer placements. It was evident that everyone who had RGed others throughout the year so far and got noticed by seniors were the ones who landed the plum jobs. It is a well known fact across college that anyone who maintains "good relations" with their seniors were suitably rewarded with day-zero job offers.

One way in which this could be judged was the seemingly arbitrariness in shortlists and converts of interview calls for the placements. The disparity among people with similar CVs in terms of shortlists and converts was all too evident for everyone to see. But, as one is told often, "A lot depends on networking", which is a sugar-coated way to say that one's gotta kiss a** if a day zero job is what they want.

Some people are so comfortable with RG that it is their first nature to bring it in their everyday life. In almost any situation, RG comes up. Common examples that I've noticed:
  • A******s start advertising themselves among others just to show off their 'talents' which nobody is interested in. Frankly, I feel like getting a spiked-club and bludgeoning them to death when someone comes upto me for no reason and starts advertising himself.
  • The so-called i-schol type crowd and the wannabe i-schol types never help anyone for fear of losing their 'edge' over others in the knowledge war that wages 24/7
  • Start talking oh-so-well to all everyone around just to ensure that they all know that there is a social person around. And bitch about each of them behind their backs
  • Never inform anyone of any event, deadline, submission, idea or anything else that may even be slightly useful to another soul.
  • People will talk to "girls" on campus for whatever joy and then refrain from introducing their friends to the girls for fear that they might lose their limelight (which they never really enjoyed in the first place)
The list is endless...

The effects of this are slowly eroding the already degraded values of today's world. How can one stay happy in a world full of fakes, a world of hypocrisy, a world where lies and conning take you places. A world where one derives a false sense of satisfaction by RGing everyone around. Whom all will you RG? Your friends, your family, your partner... Where is the end? Cant they realise that they will end up RGing themselves oneday. To a place where they will never realise that they caused themselves more harm than anyone else could ever have... That is is the only end I see to this headless monster...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I don't like people who...

Lie Live a life of mediocrity and don't even realize it Do not recognize excellence and accept it as something they just can't get to, no matter what Have a misplaced sense of self Are inefficient in normal day-to-day life Are not punctual Don't listen to others while having a conversation Women who are new age 'gold-diggers' Follow the herd, without using the mind that they have Spend their entire life trying to achieve a dream that wasn't theirs to start off with Give me responses of awe, inspiration and intimidation when they hear about 'the tag' Claim they can 'crack it' if they tried.. (what losers they must be to make such loose comments about something that 199,750 people fail to 'crack' each year) Cannot hold a conversation about anything even a light year close to intellectual Claim that they cannot continue with their partners after a long-drawn romance, giving them false hope and faking it all along Don't treat their partne...

Little Angel

Hail the co-incidence chanced upon me by the net That after 6 months of talk, me and her finally met As those endless hours on the phone went by I knew there was more to her than meets the eye She was not just another pretty girl I knew that there was much more of her to unfurl In those addictive conversations night after night We were a house on fire waiting to ignite The dapper angel's words tweeted like music Not speaking to her every night almost made me manic After all those days, the moment of truth arrived All those doubts about an internet relationship suddenly skydived Since the instant we met, I let her have her way Shook her hand as a hug lay far astray In those 540 minutes of unadulterated bliss She felt like mine after just a kiss Felt like being in a happy relationship after a while Just being with her every moment made me smile This little angel was bundled with enthusiasm and zeal Such a treat and that too a close match to my ideal Every day after that, the distanc...

The Partner [Edit]

It is a dark and rainy night. We run along the lonely streets, holding hands all along. The bad guys aren't far behind. They've chased me this long, and I've fended them off. I had the power of stealth with me then. Not anymore, for I've given my heart away to my lover. She convinces me that our paths are the same and that she's ready to endure any trial-by-fire with me. I shrug away the feeling that my she's a liability. I can only think of the days when the running will end, the days when there will be an end to all the violence, the days when I can rest on my accomplishments and share the rest of my life with my lover. I get back from my thoughts. They're on wheels and we're on foot, I realize as I hear the revving of the engines a few blocks away. We run into a fork, in the road. I tug her hand towards the right, but she pulls back. "Let's go this way", she says pointing left. "I know this path well", she adds. My sixth sense ...