In numerous scrapbooks and ice-breakers all thru my life, my "most embarrassing moment" often drew a blank. More often than not, it was because there really didn't exist such an incident, or that there didn't exist such an incident that could be recounted in front of an audience.Well, all my prayers(?) were answered recently when such an incident occurred. Here goes the story:
Got to back up to May 2007, when I was partying in one of those nights with a friend. And me and a friend ended up going to the Hilton Towers, a 5-star hotel overlooking the Arabian Sea at Marine Drive. With the intention of killing a couple of hours of time, we entered the restaurant/coffee-shop. The friend accompanying me recognized an woman acquaintance from her college, whom I shall call X, seated with 3 men as the only other table occupied at 4am.
So, my friend took off to "go say Hi" to her. Within a minute of speaking to her, she realized that not only was X in a terribly inebriated state, but that she had no idea about the names of the 3 other men at her own table, whom she attempted to introduce. After my friend came back, X left accompanied by her 3 male friends whom she didn't know till a few hours ago, presumably. After hearing of some other stories about X floating about campus and elsewhere, and witnessing such a blatantly promiscuous act, I just forgot about it all.
Fast forward to a few days ago, when me and a couple of friends were just chatting up in one of their rooms. Enter an acquaintance, whom I shall call Y, who I've known for a while now. After talking about some random nothings, the conversation shifted to Y.
Y claimed that he wanted to go to sleep and went on to say that he's ill with cold and cough. Not leaving the situation go waste, my friend promptly replied, "Maybe, he's got AIDS".
Only to continue the joke, I replied, "The only way you would've got it is if you went anywhere close to X!". After a couple of seconds of laughter, I realized Y did not join in the joke.
The next line pretty much is the clincher of all, where the plot gets revealed and my embarrassing moment became a reality.
Y replies, "I'm going around with her, man".
Now this guy Y has a tendency of cracking jokes with a straight face, and me and another friend didn't really buy it. But, the my other friend, who was actually privy to this information earlier, interrupted with, "He's serious, dude. Stuff something into your mouth right now"
This was one of the FRIENDS moments. There was a hugely embarrassing situation I had created, and there was a pause now. And it was silent and nobody moved or uttered a word. It was one of those moments where someone had to say something. And the FRIENDS' line, "Say something, anything. Nothing you say can get worse" almost echoed in my mind.
"Well, if you break up with her... um.. then you can talk to me", I said. As soon as I said those words, I was sure I should have just shut up. And all the 3 guys in the room mirrored my feelings with a slew of "Shut up!" flying about.
Fact 1: X and Y had interned at the same company in summer
Yes, I knew about this and thought that Y would echo my sentiment about X by adding some input of his own. Give me a break, I was just making conversation!
Fact 2: X and Y were going around
There was no way I could have known this, and according to me it had a probability of 0.001% of happening.
Fact 3: One of my 2 friends knew about this and didn't tell me earlier as he had promised Y
Although I had told this 'friend' about the whole Hilton incident, he chose to remain away from all gossip and not tell me about this development about Y, assuming that I would never utter her name again, especially in such a context! Wrong assumption and he deserves a kick and a mention of his name here for this act
After tendering apologies, and bearing the brunt of jokes for quite a while, the situation cooled off. Only a chain of unrelated, unpredictable and improbable events lead to this hugely embarrassing incident.
But at the end of it, atleast my "most embarrassing situation" won't go blank from now!
hahahaha hoohoohoo hehehehehe
ReplyDeletehmmmm......this is actually quite interesting...... it happens..... but ur wish is granted..... so r u happy???....
ReplyDeleteYes, happy and another interesting incident to add to the truck-load of movie-like ones I've done already!
ReplyDeletehhhhheehhhhh... poor y.. though i wonder if he's still dating x ????
ReplyDeleteWould have loved to see the expression on Satack's face !!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete